The « Course Contre La Faim » Project, initiated by monitors and education consellors of the Jean Bart highschool was accepted by the ESCC (Education, Health and Citizenship Committee)
They all had noticed that:
- the end of the school year meant a lack of activity and investments for the students
- The students hadn’t been offered to commit in a solidary or humanitarian action for several years
-the school had known intensely rich moments of sharing thanks to sports activities in former years
- The idea was therefore to federate students for a sport project with a humanitarian aim at a complicated yet crucial time
- The coordinator adults who had accepted to participate were P.E. teachers (Mmes Amossé, Desplaces, Tondeur, Vittet, M Manavit).
- It was commonly agreed that they had to start slowly, with 5 groups of seconde students only corresponding to the 5 P.E. teachers, considering the fact that they had taken the decision quite late. Other head teachers got interested in the project as well.
-The 4 Education Counsellors (Mme Billet, Mme Provoost, Mme Shakeshaft and M. Levive) took in charge the whole organisation of the activity from the start to the very end of the race: delivering information to the 5 groups of students, guiding the different organisations which supported the race, distributing the sponsors leaflets and collecting the funds.
A majority of students really appreciated this project and took an active part in it
Other teachers (Mrs Deboudt et Petel) who were also musicians accompanied the event. The students who participated kept running despite the huge effort they were asked to make (up to eleven 250m laps in 10 minutes). The atmosphere was as cheerful for the students who asked for another race the next year, as for the adults.
Our ‘School Climate Quality’ objective was reached….
As for the collected funds at the end of the race, more than 2.500 euros could be sent to Action Contre La Faim
The humanitarian objective of our project was reached as well.